Monday 10 December 2012

Post the Ninth




So, nine posts in and finally we get to Davis.  Finally!



Swim-Swim was beginning to despair of us ever arriving, bless his impatient little penguin noggin. He was just so pants-wettingly eager to get ashore and start publishing our blog posts that the series of small delays to our arrival were not sitting well with him. I had a quiet word with him, and assured him that it would all happen in due course, but I don’t think it sank in.
Anyway, Sunday morning came, and he and I were slated to travel in the first group of helicopter flights ashore. Passengers were listed in order of priority, and Hannah, Swim-Swim and I were amongst the top dozen. Evidently there are few people more important to get onto the station than the kitchen hands.
Yeah. Bizarre. Still, that was the decision, and who was I (a mere slushy, albeit an uber-slushy) to argue?
The hopes of the powers-that-be had originally been that the sea ice would be thick enough to take vehicular traffic, and that therefore passenger transfer could take place on the ice. The many delays to the voyage scotched that plan good and proper though, since by the time we got there the ice was not strong enough.
Therefore, the only option left was transport by helicopter. Darn it all. Shucks. Blast. 
So, here I am, in the ship’s library, getting all trussed up in the exceedingly fashionable straitjacket immersion suit – a requirement for helicopter travel over water in the Antarctic.

Sartorial splendour
The immersion suit is designed to keep you both warm and buoyant in the -1.9°C water in the event of the helicopter ditching in the ocean. As a consequence each suit is made of about 13 square kilometres of neoprene. It is very Antarctic appropriate, though, since wearing one does force you waddle like a penguin.
Still, if wearing one will both
    a) allow me to undertake the helicopter journey, and
    b) help me to not be dead in the event of the helicopter impersonating a submarine,
then I will happily agree to wear one.
My name was duly called out, and I waddled up to the helideck, where some very nice crew members assisted me in boarding our sky-chariot. And here, to prove I am not fibbing, is a photo I took of the instrument panel of the helicopter while I waited for the flight to get under way.
Not fibbing

A sight very familiar to most of you, I am sure.
And, to show even more that I am not fibbing, here is another photo. This one is of Dave Pullinger, the pilot. Dave is a very nice man whose job it is to put the helicopter in the sky.
Dave Pullinger, 'Copter Jockey

And put the helicopter in the sky he did.
I didn’t take many photos during the flight – a flight which, due to the ship’s proximity to the station, only lasted 90 seconds or so. The reason was that I wanted to use the camera to video the flight; a laudable idea under most circumstances. However, in these circumstances, my camera’s auto-focus decided that it would be preferable to focus on the dirty cockpit glass than anything on the other side of it.
*sigh*
So, I have about 50 seconds of video footage of a dirty cockpit window, accompanied by loud helicopter noises. Just what I always wanted. Full of win.
But, I did get this shot about half way through the flight.


Woo hoo.
At the other end, AGSOs Jenn, Matt and Rachel assisted us to safely leave the area without decapitation (or something like that), and got our bags for us. (AGSO stands for Air Ground Support Officer. Or something like that).
So helpful

So Swim-Swim and I got safely to Davis un-immersed and with our heads still attached. A rippingly fine start in anyone’s book I should say.
First order of business was to get out of that immersion suit. And what a relief that was! Then it was time to toddle down to the station mess (shortly to be the focus of my working life) to meet with the outgoing Station Leader (Alison Dean), who gave us the official address and station induction. 
A quick guided tour of the station and facilities soon thereafter, and it was time to move into our accommodation.
Next in order of priority? It’s December, right? Naturally the most important thing to do was put up my Christmas tree in my room. Then to dig out one of Swim-Swim’s good chums, Fat Santa. And here they are, being jolly chummy together next to the Christmas tree.

Festive

Ho ho ho.



Now we are here.

10 comments:

  1. Great reading your posts, Jeff. Keep it up.
    Love and kisses to Swim-Swim!
    Cheers,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Jack. Thanks very much!

      Your message has been passed to the Penguin.

      Delete
  2. It's almost like being there. Well...not really, not at all like being there, but as close to being there as I have ever been.

    Will your eminent kitchen duties still leave you plenty of time to wander about (safely) with Swim-Swim and take lots of pictures?

    I assume so. Otherwise, it must be awfully difficult to hire kitchen help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my point of view it is quite like being here, I suppose. :) But thanks awfully much!

      Your assumptions are pretty spot-on, actually. While the working days are long, there are opportunities here and there to get out and about.

      As you will see in the not-too-distant future...

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jeff, My family day care children and I are having great fun following your progress, Swim-Swim's tour of the ship was in answer to their "where do they sleep and eat" question, so well done Swim-Swim. Playing where's Swim-Swim if great fun too!

    Would it be ok to share your blog address with other Childcare Educators?

    Keep it up and take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ros!

      I'm thrilled to have been of use like that! But of course feel free to share the blog with other educators. I'm putting it out there in the public space, so naturally I'm happy for anyone to read it.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hooray - you made it. Which bit of the accommodation are you staying in? Don't worry about the heli footage - I can give you a few hours worth if you want it (insert smug smirk here) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been doing quite a bit of smugging and smirking lately, Wendy. Keep it up and we'll have a new nickname for you.

      A few hours indeed. Hmmmm. Unfortunately it's not exactly generic helicopter footage I'm after, you see.

      I'm in the SAM (Summer Accommodation Module), which is the red building you can see in the last photo of post 8.

      Delete
  5. I went in a helicopter once! I feel your joy!! Though, I was guiding Cameron Daddo through the Tassie wilderness and if our chopper crashed we didn't have the added comfort of a protective suit. We would just have died. Anyhoo....

    I'm glad Swim-Swim has a friend (not that I'm suggesting you aren't company enough - I'm just saying).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have taken comfort in the fact that your death would likely have been national news for a few days, even a week, Meli. That's gotta count for something.

      Swim-Swim is enjoying Fat Santa's company, but he keeps trying to sit on his lap, and Fat Santa doesn't actually have a lap.

      Delete