Tuesday 8 January 2013

Post the Sixteenth-and-a-Halfth-th

Wildlife!

100%, pure, unadulterated, undiluted, un-digitally-enhanced, un-ding-dong-diddley wildlife!

And I have photos of it!




Call me a bit slow if you like, but I am starting to sense a bit of a pattern here.

I get myself all geared up to tromp around in the wilds in search of some cool Antarctic beastie to photograph and feature in this blog, and consequently spend a few hours galumphing about with little to show for the effort.

Except photos of some rocks.

And then, within 24 hours, some organism makes its presence felt within station limits.  Last week it was an Adelie penguin.

This week...

Imperial

AN EMPEROR PENGUIN [fx: vast crowd going berserk]

How cool is that?

This lad or lass had wandered up here, and just decided to have a bit of a kip next to the Meteorological Building.  Right in the middle of the road.

We aren't permitted to approach wildlife too closely, so I had to make my approach via the lens of the camera.



I didn't want to disturb his/her slumber, so I snuck away afterward.

But, I will admit to having a quiet little 'squeee', if only on the inside.

Now starting to wonder why I bother with these odysseys into the rock strewn environs.  All I need to do is sit squarely on my keister and wait for the excitement to come to me!

And that's your lot for this one.  Which is why it only rates as half a post.

I hope you half enjoyed it.

6 comments:

  1. Great photos Jeff, how long/high would it have been do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros. Quite tall, actually. More than a metre high, I would think.

      Delete
  2. Catherine Lander8 January 2013 at 13:19

    The king of penguins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or rather the Emperor (or Empress) of penguins. :) Although this youngster is only a princeling.

      Delete